Wednesday 5 August 2009

Mihimihi - Personal introduction

Tēnā koutou katoa - Greetings everyone

Ko Tararua me Earl's Seat ngā maunga - Tararua and Earl's Seat are my mountains
Ko Thames me Clyde ngā awa - The Thames and the Clyde are my rivers
Ko Waiorongomai me Loch Lomond ngā roto - Waiorongomai and Loch Lomond are my lakes
Ko Te Moana o Raukawa te moana - Cook Strait is my sea

Ko Ngāti Raukawa me Ngāti Kōtirangi me Ngāti Ingarangi ngā iwi - Raukawa, Scotland and England are my nations
Ko Ōtaki me Glasgow me Rātana ngā papatūwhenua - Ōtaki, Glasgow and London are my homelands

Ko Arthur Ronald Timms te matua - Arthur Ronald Timms was my father
Ko Jean Mary Timms te whaea - Jean Mary Timms is my mother

Ko au tēnei - This is me
Ko Catriona Elizabeth Timms-Dean taku ingoa - My name is Catriona Elizabeth Timms-Dean
Engari ki te ao katoa ko Kate ahau - But everyone calls me Kate

Ko Conway Dean taku hoa rangatira - Conway Dean is my husband
Nō Ahitereiria ia - He is from Australia
Ka noho māua kei Ōtepoti - We live in Dunedin

Ko Jacob rātou ko Torrey, ko Lachlan ā māua tama - Our sons are Jake, Torrey and Lachlan
Ko Charlotte rātou ko Madeleine, ko Genevieve ā māua kōhine - Our daughters are Charlotte, Madeleine and Genevieve

Nā reira, tēnā tātou - And so, greetings

Kia ora koutou,

My name is Kate Timms-Dean and I am a senior lecturer at Otago Polytechnic. I work in the Educational Development Centre and teach the Treaty of Waitangi and Māori content across a range of programmes and departments. I am taking the Facilitating On-line course as I want to become more adept as an on-line facilitator, and I also intend to enrol in the Graduate Certificate in Applied e-Learning once my doctorate thesis is completed. My thesis is in Māori Studies and focuses on contemporary language revitalisation strategies in Aotearoa New Zealand and Alba Scotland.

I am a mum of 6 kids and step-kids aged between 17 and 3 years, and I love playing pool competitively and tending my vege patch. My fabulous husband Conway is an artist.
Nāku noa,
Nā Kate (AKA K8epai :)

5 comments:

  1. what a great introducation Kate. you will have all the hits of introduction VERY soon I'm sure. A mihi in Gaelic is quite something.Look forward to working with you on this endeavour.
    Ka kite ano.
    Willie

    ReplyDelete
  2. woops. I realise that your mihi here is Maori-English. BUT I know that you did a mihi in Gaelic at a conference in Scotland recently.
    See you on Elluminate on Monday.
    Willie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia ora Kate
    I'd like to acknowledge your greeting to the ākonga on this course.

    I grew up in Otepoti, leaving the city at 15 (many years ago I'd admit)...

    Looking forward to sharing the learning online as we go, while keeping on top of parenting - you've got a big job! We've two little ones (aged 8 months and 3 years), which keep us busy.

    Hei konei mai,
    Stephen
    (now in Whanganui-a-tara)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kia ora Kate

    Great to hear from you. Look forward to following your journey over the next few weeks, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kate

    Haven't heard from you for a while...how's it going? Is there anything I can do to help you along with this course?

    ReplyDelete